Protocol for the denial of care:

Medically stable patients with complex diseases, that include an Intractable Pain component are being tapered forcefully from their pain medications. This is being done without regard of medical need, patient compliance, improved function and quality of life. Increased pain, loss of function and death are being reported nationwide as a result of these practices.

Steps for patients and family members to take when pain care is denied, and for patients being forcefully weaned from opioid medications without medically supervised tapering. Also recommended recourse for family members who have sadly lost a loved one due to denial of pain care, or forced, too rapid, unsupervised tapering.


  1. Immediately file a complaint with your State Medical Board.  Name all the doctors who neglected to either prescribe opioids, withdrawal medication, and/or tapered (reduced) dosage too fast.

  1. Condense long medical history into a short version. Be brief. Send this version to your 2 State Senators and Congressmen.  Tell them that you believe Federal Policies and guidelines may have prevented you/your loved one from getting the help you/they needed.

  1. See if an attorney will take your case as “malpractice”, “manslaughter”, or other. Physicians are willing to testify to sub-standard care.

  1. Find out the names of the physicians who run the pain clinic that refuses to prescribe opioids.  Most MD’s who run “pain clinics” and won’t prescribe opioids are anesthesiologists or PMR’s.  Most are members of the American Academy of Pain Medicine.  Send a complaint to the Academy as well as your State and County Medical Association, Board or Society.

  1. Send your story to the head of the CDC, HHS, FDA, VA, and DEA. Contact Local and National media outlets and magazines such as Practical Pain Management, Pain News Network, National Pain Report, etc.  

    DISCLAIMER: This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. We do not recommend the self-management of health problems. We cannot and do not give you medical advice. The information in this website should not be considered complete. Information obtained on this website is not exhaustive and does not cover all diseases, ailments, physical conditions or their treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.  If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. FIPR- Families for Intractable Pain Relief does not represent to be an authority, please contact your physician. We share information from other organizations, advocates and or websites.